lunes, 19 de febrero de 2018

What to See and Do in Opatija

What to see and do in Opatija

During my winter trip to Croatia last year, I had the chance to pass by the beautiful city of Opatija on my way to Pula. I didn't have enough time to visit it then, but I knew I wanted to go back there to walk on those enchantingly glamorous streets!

Opatija is the city with the oldest tourism tradition in Croatia. It used to be the place where the aristocracy from the Austro-Hungarian empire retired for their vacations in both winter and summer seasons because of the nice and mild weather. Therefore, this city was called "the Austrian Nice" and it totally has that opulent and glamorous south of France vibe!
All those summer houses and villas that the Austrian aristocracy had in the region have now become luxury hotels with very interesting spas and wellness centers and they also have the most Instagram perfect café terraces you can imagine! So, this city was very high on my priority list when I decided to go back to Croatia last summer.

Opatija- Lungomare

Opatija

Opatija 2

Lungomare Promenade

Lungomare Promenade 2


My plan was to stay in the nearby city of Rijeka and from there to explore the region of Kvarner, including of course Opatija! I didn't decide to stay in Opatija because of my budget mainly because as most of the hotels there are very luxurious I knew it was going to be a little too expensive for me, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this amazing place!

How to get there? 

If you are staying in Rijeka, like I did, it's very easy to get to Opatija, just by taking the bus! You can take bus number 32, from Rijeka's city center and that will leave you in the center of Opatija in more or less 30 minutes. I can't tell you enough how much I have enjoyed those bus rides! The landscape of the Adriatic coast is absolutely stunning! So make sure to get a window on the bus ;)

Opatija Beach


What to do on a day trip to Opatija?

Well, apart from taking tons of pictures, I highly recommend that you walk along the Lungomare promenade. It's a 12km walk along the coast from Preluka to Lovran and it connects all the different cities and beaches. It's not necessary that you complete the 12km but it's a very enjoyable walk for sure! 
In the center of Opatija, you can find the Maiden with the Seagull sculpture, which is a symbol of the city and I find it to be a very romantic spot! It's the perfect place to take a pause from walking and sit to enjoy the sea view. 

Opatija- Maiden with the seagull

Opatija- Maiden with the seagull 2

Opatija- Maiden with the seagull 3

Opatija- Maiden with the seagull 4


Another of my favorite spots in Opatija was definitely Villa Angiolina, which was one of the first tourist resorts in the city! It was built in 1844 and renovated in the year 2000. Now it operates as the Museum of Croatian tourism. Even if you don't enter the museum, the building itself is absolutely beautiful and worth the visit! 

Opatija - Villa Angiolina



Very close to this, you can find the Park of St. Jacob and Park Angiolina, which are two very popular parks that are filled with plant species from all over the world! These parks are stunning and the perfect place to get tons of amazing pictures for your Instagram ;)

Park St. Jacob and Park Angiolina

Park St. Jacob and Park Angiolina 2

Park St. Jacob and Park Angiolina 3

Park St. Jacob and Park Angiolina 4

Park St. Jacob and Park Angiolina 5


Then I would also recommend you to visit Hotel Kvarner, this was the first luxury hotel built in the city and the Adriatic region. This building, which was built in 1884, is so impressive and beautiful that will for sure make you dream and imagine the life of these aristocratic people that came here at that time! I fell in love with the beautiful terrace it has and when I visited I also bought an Ice Cream there, which was absolutely delicious!

Hotel Kvarner

Hotel Kvarner Terrace
A sneak peak of the terrace

Opatija Architecture
It got super cloudy in the afternoon that day

Last but not the least, I encourage you to walk as much as you can here because you will find a lot of charming café terraces, stunning hotel buildings, restaurants and cute places that will make you fall in love with this city!  

Opatija Architecture 2

Opatija Restaurant

Opatija streets

Opatija Terraces

Opatija- Croatia

Opatija Villas

Opatija streets 2

Hope you like this guide and I would love to know if you have visited Opatija or if you have heard about this place? :)

33 comentarios:

  1. Oh my gosh, this looks like an absolute dream! I've never visited Opatija before... but I certainly want to now! I adore the colourful, pastel-coloured architecture and especially the pretty little balconies you've shared in this travel diary. Dreamy!!

    Hope you have a lovely week Andrea :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much Gabrielle!! Yes, I feel in love with those balconies!! They were so dreamy and beautiful!! So happy this post has inspired you! :)

      Hope you are having a lovely week as well! :)

      Eliminar
  2. Todavia no he estado en Croacia pero me muero de ganas porque todos mis amigos que han estado dicen que es precioso, y esta foto definitivamente lo muestra!

    Andrea//

    https://justohana.blogspot.com.es

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Muchas gracias Andrea!! Si si, la verdad que Croacia es una belleza, ojalá puedas ir en algún momento, estoy segura que te va a encantar :)

      Eliminar
  3. Thanks a lot :D

    wooow, so amazing place my dear friend :D

    NEW CITYBREAKS POST | AZORES: FURNAS, FUMAROLAS, THE SMELL AND THE TYPICAL DISH. <3
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Such beautiful scenary :) xx

    www.fashionjazz.co.za

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Interesting post. Beautiful pictures. Lovely blog.

    amakamedia.com

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hej! Świetny post :)

    obserwuje i zapraszam do mnie :
    milentry-blog.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Oh this is like a hidden paradise for me, I had to locate it in the map to know the exact location. Love the vibe and beauty of this place. Good on you to see even a glimpse of it in real life.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, it's a very beautiful place!! So happy you liked the post! :)

      Eliminar
  8. Such a beautiful place, the tree lined path looks very romantic!

    Marie
    The Flower Duet

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you so much Marie! Yes, I have found the city to be very romantic ;)

      Eliminar
  9. Annnnd I've just gone and messaged my friend about this. Have. To. See. This. Year.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Wow!! So happy to read that!! Croatia is amazing you wont regret it! ;=

      Eliminar
  10. Such a lovely place! I've never been to Croatia but somehow it gives me the same vibes as Hungary - you can clearly feel that some architecture details are similar :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks a lot for your comment!! Absolutely, you can tell that the architecture was influenced by them :)

      Eliminar
  11. This sounds amazing! I haven’t been to Croatia yet but should deffo do this.

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you Stella!! Yes, Croatia is an amazing destination to consider :)

      Eliminar
  12. Increibles fotos y me encanto todo lo que dices muero de ganas por ir! Disfrutarlo debe ser lo mas sorprendente

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Muchas gracias Maggie!! Me alegro mucho que te gustara el post! Si, estar ahí es una experiencia increíble! :)

      Eliminar
  13. It looks like an amazing place! So sunny and beautiful!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Thanks a lot :D

    this is super interesting my friend :D loved it!

    NEW REVIEW POST | MAYBELLINE FIT ME FOUNDATION: LUMINOUS + SMOOTH. :O
    InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Wow, this place is stunning! Look at all those flowers and greens, so beautiful! What a paradise!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks a lot Jessica!! Yes, all the flowers were absolutely gorgeous!! :)

      Eliminar
  16. Thank you lovely! I will check out your blog! :)

    ResponderEliminar